Los Padres Chapter
& District 80
News & Events
District Deputy’s Report
October - December 2017
Dear Brother Knights,
Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas. I would like to thank everybody for their prayers concerning my cancer operations: my brother Knights and the parishes of Our Lady of Sorrows, St. Raphael’s and Padre Serra. Both were successful, and I am on track for a speedy recovery.
As we approach the holidays and the mid-point of this Columbian Year, now is the time for Council Officers to reflect on their Council’s recent accomplishments and goals for this Columbian Year. Are there any areas that need to be improved? One of the areas that Councils can improve upon are recruitment of new members. Other than one on one recruitment and Church recruitment drives, what other ways can Councils recruit new members? One idea that Supreme suggests is the concept of an “In-House” open house.
An Open House event can be hosted by one or two recruiters and their wives. Invite at least three to five prospects and their wives. The host recruiters can then talk about different Council Socials and Service Projects that they have participated in and how their families benefit from such participation and how they help the Parish. For more info on what materials are needed to conduct an Open House, please contact me or your Council’s Membership Director.
As part of the benefits of being a member of the Knights of Columbus, recruiters and members who are asked about the Order should mention the many benefits of membership:
1) Free monthly subscription to the Columbian Magazine, examining issues that concern Knights, Catholics and families.
2) New members receive Rosaries upon completion of the First-Degree Exemplification, blessed by the Supreme Chaplain.
3) Daily Mass of Remembrance is held at the birthplace of the Knights of Columbus, St. Mary’s Parish in New Haven, Connecticut for deceased members and their wives.
4) Knights of Columbus Insurance, which offers affordable life insurance, long term care and annuity products for members and their families.
5) Scholarship Programs for higher education available to members, their spouses and children.
6) Participation in Family Youth and Religious Activities conducted by local councils.
Council participation opportunities: Looking for something new activities to stimulate more Council involvement and increased membership? Here are a few suggestions from the Supreme Council:
· Participate in Persecuted Christians Awareness Week (see https://www.kofc.org/uns/en/charities/christian-relief/index.html).
· Knights of Columbus Soccer Challenge.
· Plan Christmas Activities in your parish (i.e. Advent Celebration) and participate in the Keep Christ in Christmas Initiative.
A couple of due date reminders for Council Officers:
o Dec 1st: Due date to complete the Annual Survey of Fraternal Activity Personal Survey.
o Jan 1st : Council per capita Tax, Catholic Advertising Fund and Culture of Life fund levied by the Supreme Council.
o Jan 31st: The following forms are due:
Ø Annual Survey of Fraternal Activity (different form from the one due Dec 1st)
Ø Partnership with Special Olympics Profile
Ø Free Throw Championship Participation Form
Ø Substance Abuse Awareness Poster Contest Form
Finally, I would like to pass on to our Fourth Degree Members regarding the new Uniform from our Worthy Master of the St. Junipero Serra Province, Sir Knight (SK) Ken Rose:
“YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO PURCHASE THE NEW UNIFORM to be in the Fourth Degree! However if you choose to remain in the Honor Guard you will need the NEW UNIFORM by June 30th, 2018.”
For other specifics regarding the new uniform for Fourth Degree Members, please contact me or the Faithful Navigator for Santa Barbara and Goleta Assembly, SK Patrick Donohoe.
Knights of Columbus
District Deputy - District #80
Updated Noveber 21, 2017